The New York State Tax Law requires unincorporated associations and corporations doing business in the state to pay sales and franchise taxes unless they have received exemptions from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. PA/PTAs should consider applying for these exemptions if their organizations qualify. See the New York State Tax Exemption page.